Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Solved (Already Upgraded) Planning to finally upgrade my 9 year old PC :)

srijay_deathwish

Jul 4, 2017
A lil backstory, if you will. You'll be surprised (and might laugh a little too) that I'm still running a 9 year old pc with Xeon E5450, 4GB DDR2, G41 Motherboard and a 750ti 2GB. I'm not much of a gamer but I have enjoyed playing some Assassins Creed titles on this pc. I used to, and still do, use this pc mainly for web design, coding and photoshop. So it was not much of an issue. However lately I'm getting into video editing and of course this pc wont cut it (I have however edited some 1080p videos on it too, painstakingly :laughing:).

Although I'm not assembling a new setup immediately, i would like your recommendations on some stuff. My budget is about 25K-30K INR. I need help choosing a CPU, RAM and Motherboard (ATX with M.2 support if possible, i don't plan on overclocking but thats a plus if available) and also SSD. I already have a 1080p monitor and accessories, will use the 750ti for sometime, have 2 HDDs (1TB and 320 GB). Team blue or red, it doesn't matter. And also not afraid to get used items. (help me with some reliable sources if possible for getting used parts)

I did some research and i was thinking about Ryzen 5 3600x and the older Ryzen 7 2700 as this one is bit cheaper. Though 2700 is an older gen, it has 8cores/16Threads and i know more cores are better for video editing. What do you guys think ? Have any other suggestions ? Also, what motherboard and ram should i go with if i use any of these ? I mostly edit videos on Davinci Resolve and photos on Lightroom/Photoshop.

Hoping to get some useful insights. Peace ✌

Reactions: pr0ph3t
Now a days, games do leverage the power of the 8 core CPU. So yes upgrading CPU to 8 core will help.
Even if games don't use 8core CPU, other unused cores are not really unused, windows and other tasks which are running in background is highly likely to be scheduled in the unused CPUs.
Get two 8GB RAM sticks at least to run in dual channel. Now a days 16GB RAM is bare minimum for multi tasking and gaming. Also get the highest frequency RAM available. Ryzen's infinity fabric is heavily RAM dependent for IPC (Inter Processor Communication [ not to be confused with OS IPC ] ). Getting RAM sticks more faster than CPU is just plain overkill and produces same result as having RAM stick with same speed as CPU, so don't get RAM stick that high in clock speed.

Also invest in a good cooler if you are planing to overclock. These included coolers are just enough, and lives in 70's when you talk temperature and full utilization. Go for ATX motherboard, smaller form factor motherboards mainly in AMD do reduce the max clock speed CPU turbos. Mainly due to less pulse power availablilty, motherboard reduces the CPU Core Voltage (Vcore) to something like 1.47Volts normally compared to 1.5V nominal on no load with bigger motherboards. Hey you also get so much things extra, like more IO expansion solts and all.

But don't you think upgrading to 2nd gen ryzen is lame when 4th gen is about to be out?

Ryzen 4th gen is going to be EPIC (Pun intended). So just wait for ryzen 4th gen, there are a lot of things which have changed, basically improving performance, thermal efficiency to an another level.

Reactions: srijay_deathwish
Now a days, games do leverage the power of the 8 core CPU. So yes upgrading CPU to 8 core will help.
Even if games don't use 8core CPU, other unused cores are not really unused, windows and other tasks which are running in background is highly likely to be scheduled in the unused CPUs.
Get two 8GB RAM sticks at least to run in dual channel. Now a days 16GB RAM is bare minimum for multi tasking and gaming. Also get the highest frequency RAM available. Ryzen's infinity fabric is heavily RAM dependent for IPC (Inter Processor Communication [ not to be confused with OS IPC ] ). Getting RAM sticks more faster than CPU is just plain overkill and produces same result as having RAM stick with same speed as CPU, so don't get RAM stick that high in clock speed.

Also invest in a good cooler if you are planing to overclock. These included coolers are just enough, and lives in 70's when you talk temperature and full utilization. Go for ATX motherboard, smaller form factor motherboards mainly in AMD do reduce the max clock speed CPU turbos. Mainly due to less pulse power availablilty, motherboard reduces the CPU Core Voltage (Vcore) to something like 1.47Volts normally compared to 1.5V nominal on no load with bigger motherboards. Hey you also get so much things extra, like more IO expansion solts and all.

But don't you think upgrading to 2nd gen ryzen is lame when 4th gen is about to be out?

Ryzen 4th gen is going to be EPIC (Pun intended). So just wait for ryzen 4th gen, there are a lot of things which have changed, basically improving performance, thermal efficiency to an another level.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going with an older gen Ryzen because you can see my budget, and i know it is at least upgradable. I've stuck with outdated specs for 9 years, so you know i don't mind. I figured 4th gen is gonna be expensive but if it comes out and prices of 3rd gen comes down, then i'll consider that. Its not about latest and greatest for me right now, as i am into very tight budget. Nevertheless, thanks for the helpful insights, i had not considered them before.

A lil backstory, if you will. You'll be surprised (and might laugh a little too) that I'm still running a 9 year old pc with Xeon E5450, 4GB DDR2, G41 Motherboard and a 750ti 2GB. I'm not much of a gamer but I have enjoyed playing some Assassins Creed titles on this pc. I used to, and still do, use this pc mainly for web design, coding and photoshop. So it was not much of an issue. However lately I'm getting into video editing and of course this pc wont cut it (I have however edited some 1080p videos on it too, painstakingly :laughing:).

Although I'm not assembling a new setup immediately, i would like your recommendations on some stuff. My budget is about 25K-30K INR. I need help choosing a CPU, RAM and Motherboard (ATX with M.2 support if possible, i don't plan on overclocking but thats a plus if available) and also SSD. I already have a 1080p monitor and accessories, will use the 750ti for sometime, have 2 HDDs (1TB and 320 GB). Team blue or red, it doesn't matter. And also not afraid to get used items. (help me with some reliable sources if possible for getting used parts)

I did some research and i was thinking about Ryzen 5 3600x and the older Ryzen 7 2700 as this one is bit cheaper. Though 2700 is an older gen, it has 8cores/16Threads and i know more cores are better for video editing. What do you guys think ? Have any other suggestions ? Also, what motherboard and ram should i go with if i use any of these ? I mostly edit videos on Davinci Resolve and photos on Lightroom/Photoshop.

Hoping to get some useful insights. Peace ✌
For your budget il only recommend Ryzen. You wanna edit videos on Davinci Resolve, but Davinci is gpu dependent bro. If you want to use Davinci then you will have to get a better gpu for optimal performance. Or just switch to Premier Pro and enjoy the power of you new Ryzen cores.
And going with the rzyen 5 3600 will be better for all purpose use because it gives more single core speed. With 3.6Ghz base 4.2Ghz boost, plus it's also much newer gen.
When it comes to motherboard it's better to get one with B450 chipset so you will have more headroom to upgrade cpu later.

I would be better If you could wait for few months more, since new gen of Desktop are coming in the market. with Intel 12th gen CPU and DDR5 ram with PCI 5.0 you can build a new gen pc.
But if you need it on urgent base then go with AMD they are future compatible .

I would be better If you could wait for few months more, since new gen of Desktop are coming in the market. with Intel 12th gen CPU and DDR5 ram with PCI 5.0 you can build a new gen pc.
But if you need it on urgent base then go with AMD they are future compatible .
This is about a year old thread bro. I've already built a PC last year. Nonetheless, thanks.

Sponsored