Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Asus Vivobook Pro 14 OLED loose touchpad, is this normal?

pr0ph3t

Expert
⚔️ MOD
Dec 30, 2016
I bought this laptop yesterday and I noticed that the touchpad is loose and there is a rattling sound when I use it in a quiet environment like double tapping etc.. it wobbles slightly. Is this normal for this model or should I replace my unit? Please check the attached media and see for yourself

Attachments

• photo_2022-07-15_19-27-45.jpg
    photo_2022-07-15_19-27-45.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 17
  • photo_2022-07-15_19-27-50.jpg
    photo_2022-07-15_19-27-50.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 18
  • touchpad rattle.mp4
    10.2 MB
Last edited:
Update: I went to an offline ASUS store near me and checked the unit there, none of them had this issue but one other model had a really minor rattling sound but the touchpad wasn't noticeably loose. But then I noticed that my unit's hinge was also misaligned. So I've placed a replacement order from amazon and they will be an inspection guy soon, so let's see.

Did they repair or replace your laptop. I have the same problem on my Vivobook 16x Pro OLED laptop. I contacted the Asus Technical support site and they told me to start the complaint process.The touchpad twists abnormally,it doesn't seem to be attached and with slightly stronger pressure, you can see the inside of the laptop through the gap.

Attachments

• IMG_20220801_110642.jpg
    IMG_20220801_110642.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220801_110656.jpg
    IMG_20220801_110656.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220801_110715.jpg
    IMG_20220801_110715.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220801_110724_1.jpg
    IMG_20220801_110724_1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • VID_20220728_082510_1.mp4
    15.8 MB
I actually went to my nearest Asus service center and showed it to them and the service guy said it's normal. Meanwhile, I noticed many users on Reddit also reporting the same. I then visited my nearest ASUS store and checked the models there, they didn't have pro 14 in stock at the time but the sales guys said it's not normal while I checked out other Asus laptops there like Vivobook Pro 14x, Zenbook Space edition, Vivobook 15 Pro and none of em had these issues. Again my unit also had an issue with its hinge so I returned my laptop to Amazon and then bought a Pro 14X, lucky it's fine so far but there is a slight gap on the touchpad and if we look directly then we can see the insides

Reactions: gibli7
And a guy in the store where I bought it told me that it was ok. Wtf, twisting and rattling of the touchpad on a nearly $2,000 laptop.Laptop is now on its way to the service, honestly I have not had such problems on much cheaper laptops.

Reactions: pr0ph3t
And a guy in the store where I bought it told me that it was ok. Wtf, twisting and rattling of the touchpad on a nearly $2,000 laptop.Laptop is now on its way to the service, honestly I have not had such problems on much cheaper laptops.
Yeah same thought here, but there is no other laptop in this price range that checks all the boxes for creative users so i had no other choice :/

Yeah same thought here, but there is no other laptop in this price range that checks all the boxes for creative users so i had no other choice :/
I agree with you.Screen and color accuracy is amazing and the most important thing to me so I'll probably keep it regardless.

Reactions: pr0ph3t
The newer model is even cool but will take long to be available so had to get this. Still kinda same performance tho
However, there are changes in the newer model(16x pro), 2k screen resolution, slightly lower battery capacity(90Wh), 512 Gb M.2 instead of 1Tb, as far as I can see, the only improvement is the refresh rate 165Hz and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060+AMD Ryzen 7 6800H.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I got my laptop back from Asus service. They replaced the touchpad with another one, it looks better, but it's still not what I expected. The touchpad is now firmly fixed, but on the lower part, on the left and right, you can still hear a slight rattling. I think that things like this shouldn't happen on premium class laptops like this one. Asus made a laptop with a fantastic screen and an aluminum case, and on the other hand, it installs a touchpad that is not even for the lowest class of laptops. Shame on you Asus.

Hello everyone. I got my laptop back from Asus service. They replaced the touchpad with another one, it looks better, but it's still not what I expected. The touchpad is now firmly fixed, but on the lower part, on the left and right, you can still hear a slight rattling. I think that things like this shouldn't happen on premium class laptops like this one. Asus made a laptop with a fantastic screen and an aluminum case, and on the other hand, it installs a touchpad that is not even for the lowest class of laptops. Shame on you Asus.
I gotta agree with that, everything feels premium even the touchpads it just about the assembly. I think it might be normal for this model. I now have the 14x it doesn't have this issue. And btw the 14 pro is not fully metal, the bottom cover and keyboard deck is plastic