Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Getting Bad Stuttering in New PC Build

jtkyber

Noobie
Jun 29, 2018
Hello. So ever since I built my pc a few days ago, I have noticed stuttering in most of the games I tried (1% and 0.1% low framerates are very low but average framerates are very high). What could be causing this and how do I get rid of it? I have well above 60 fps in all games and v-sync off. I play at 1080p 144hz. GPU and CPU temps are great. Something I did notice is that CPU usage seems higher than it should be. However, nothing is eating up the CPU in task manager other than the game.

Specs:
-i5-8400
-Asus 1070 Strix OC
-16GB DDR4-2666 (dual channel)
-Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD
-650W 80+ Bronze PS
-MSI Z370-A Pro MB

Userbenchmark Results
-Without OC: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9372312
-With OC: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9372365

Things I tried
-Overclocking GPU
-Putting antivirus (bitdefender) in gaming mode
-Turning off antivirus
-Updating all drivers
-Reverted back to previous video driver
-Checking for memory leak
-Disabling razer synapse
-Closing unnecessary processes
-Closing MSI Afterburner
-Enabling all privacy tweaks on Ultimate Windows Tweaker
-Uninstalling Geforce Experience
-Disabling windows game bar
-Disabling shader cache
-Used GPU as physx processor
-Ran windows RAM diagnostic test
-Ran command prompts "bcdedit /set disabledynamicstick yes" and "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true"
-Changed settings in nvidia control panel
-Moved RAM to different slot
-Checked all connections
-Capped fps to 60 in game and on the monitor
-Enabled vsync
-Uninstalled msi and asus lighting software
-Closed OneDrive
-Reinstalled windows and only installed steam/didn't change any windows settings
-Installed game on external HDD
-Switched SATA cables
-Tried different SATA ports
-Moved gpu to different pcie slot
-Disabled Cortana
-Uninstalled Xbox app
-Updated bios and motherboard drivers
-Updated monitor drivers
-Updated SSD firmware
-Changing pagefile size to 1x, 1.5x, 2x and 3x RAM
-Disconnected ethernet and ran games in offline mode

Reactions: pr0ph3t
Try playing at optimal settings on GeForce Experience.
I figured out the problem. As good as that i5-8400 is, it's not quite powerful enough for a 144hz monitor. I was already kind of suspecting this when I saw that my cpu usage was higher than it should be. My suspicions were confirmed when I overclocked the cpu a little and the stuttering decreased. I bought an i5-8600k which should be a perfect match for a gtx 1070 and a 144hz monitor.

Reactions: pr0ph3t
I figured out the problem. As good as that i5-8400 is, it's not quite powerful enough for a 144hz monitor. I was already kind of suspecting this when I saw that my cpu usage was higher than it should be. My suspicions were confirmed when I overclocked the cpu a little and the stuttering decreased. I bought an i5-8600k which should be a perfect match for a gtx 1070 and a 144hz monitor.
Oh that's great thanks for sharing it here.

Oh that's great thanks for sharing it here.
Ok so I bought the i5-8600k, more RAM and a corsair h100i v2 cooler and although the stuttering did decrease, it is still definitely present. In rocket league for example, I have an average fps of like 240, however it constantly drops to around 60 fps. It makes the game feel sluggish, despite the high framerates. and yes I tried capping it at 144Hz and 60Hz. It has to be a hardware problem right? I literally did a clean install of windows 10 and installed nothing but the games I was trying.

Sponsored

Topics You Missed

Latest Posts