Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is playing in 1080p on a 1440p monitor fine?

WalterThor

Noobie
Nov 6, 2020
Hey, I'm building a new PC soon with an r9 5900x + RTX 3080. Also looking to buy a new monitor. My question is, if I buy a 1440p monitor but then want to play a more competitive game where I would like more frames such as Valorant and switch to 1080p, will it look fine? Hear a lot of people saying it's fuzzy, any way to prevent this?

What, you planning on getting a 600Hz monitor? The 3080 will give you 200+ fps on 4K high playing valorant, nvm 1440p low.

There is one way to play 1080p without it looking weird, which is to set it up to only use part of the monitor so that it's only using 1080p, but when your GPU is capable of maxing out the refresh rate on the native resolution what's the point?

What, you planning on getting a 600Hz monitor? The 3080 will give you 200+ fps on 4K high playing valorant, nvm 1440p low.

There is one way to play 1080p without it looking weird, which is to set it up to only use part of the monitor so that it's only using 1080p, but when your GPU is capable of maxing out the refresh rate on the native resolution what's the point?
Hoping to buy a 240hz 1440p, and yeah you're right I should be able to get the FPS on games like Valorant, thanks for the help. I haven't upgraded since gtx 970 so I forget what the newest gen is like lmao. Thanks!

Hey, I'm building a new PC soon with an r9 5900x + RTX 3080. Also looking to buy a new monitor. My question is, if I buy a 1440p monitor but then want to play a more competitive game where I would like more frames such as Valorant and switch to 1080p, will it look fine? Hear a lot of people saying it's fuzzy, any way to prevent this?
Your build can easily handle high settings then why the hell are ya playing on 1080p????

Some games have resolution scaling which will make it look better than just setting to 1080p on a 1440p monitor.

You can also use sharpening filters etc to make it less blurry

Uhmmm yes you could but why ... ? It's not like the 3080 can't reach high fps in competitive games if the quality is a little higher. I can easily reach 240 on my 1070 at 1080 playing valorant. I'm pretty sure that your 3080 can still do way much higher fps even at 1440p

You're right, thanks for the help, haven't upgraded my gpu since gtx 970 like 5 years ago so I don't have concept of a newest gen GPU for a while now lmao. tyvm!
Lol don't worry, nowadays performance is simply astonishing, especially this gen. I'm pretty sure the 3080 can run valorant at 200hz with 4k resolution. Btw idk if you already bought the pc or not but the 5900x is really overkill if you only plan in gaming.

Lol don't worry, nowadays performance is simply astonishing, especially this gen. I'm pretty sure the 3080 can run valorant at 200hz with 4k resolution. Btw idk if you already bought the pc or not but the 5900x is really overkill if you only plan in gaming.
Yeah haven’t been able to buy either yet due to demand but I’ve been debating between the 5600x and 5900x, you think the 5600x will be perfectly fine since I’m not video editing and stuff? I mean it’s like £200 difference so if I don’t need it for gaming id much rather save the money haha

Yeah haven’t been able to buy either yet due to demand but I’ve been debating between the 5600x and 5900x, you think the 5600x will be perfectly fine since I’m not video editing and stuff? I mean it’s like £200 difference so if I don’t need it for gaming id much rather save the money haha
Yeah, the 5600x should do fine for enough years. If you'd like to go safer you could even get a 5800x but IDK if the 2 extra cores will ever come in handy. Also if you don't have the 3080 yet too I suggest waiting and take a look at the new AMD GPUs. They claim that they'll be better than Nvidia for a lower price but we are still waiting for people to buy them and complain about any problem since AMD GPUs were known for driver issues. Oh, also I forgot that the new AMD GPUs will have somewhat of a connection with the CPU if you have a Ryzen 5000 so it'll run a bit better.

Yeah, the 5600x should do fine for enough years. If you'd like to go safer you could even get a 5800x but IDK if the 2 extra cores will ever come in handy. Also if you don't have the 3080 yet too I suggest waiting and take a look at the new AMD GPUs. They claim that they'll be better than Nvidia for a lower price but we are still waiting for people to buy them and complain about any problem since AMD GPUs were known for driver issues. Oh, also I forgot that the new AMD GPUs will have somewhat of a connection with the CPU if you have a Ryzen 5000 so it'll run a bit better.
Yeah, I am waiting out for reviews on the AMD GPU's although I’d say I’m definitely still likely to lean Nvidia but we will see. And I think my choices will be between the 5600 and 5900 as if I’m going to spend some extra money on a 5800 I’d rather just put another 100 down for the 5900

It depends on how you scale, if you want the whole screen to be loaded, each pixel on the monitor will be attempting to display the information of slightly more than one pixel of 1080p. This will make the image blurry, and look worse than a 1080p monitor. If you want 1:1 pixel mapping, where each monitor pixel corresponds to one pixel of 1080p content, the image will be fine, but you'll only use the middle of the screen; the whole image will be smaller.

Yes, you can play in 1080p on a 1440p. That is fine. If we talk about the latest gaming consoles then you need to play all games on 1440p or more for better gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator: