Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PC unexpectedly freezes

BaconGamer

Registered
Jul 16, 2018
I have tried many things for my PC that to my view randomly freezes, it's not that the power load can't be handled as I replaced the power supply to check that. I ran multiple different disk checks in Windows, and some troubleshooting tools, I tried SFC and nothing popped up. I tried testing the ram which is fine. I tried changing the power settings but it still freezes, it's not the graphics card, because it still does this without the graphics card. I booted Kali Linux off of a USB and updated the BIOS firmware, and reset the clock speed to normal, what it should've been on my Intel processor, I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing Windows to freeze and I've been at it for several weeks. I checked the reliability history and was able to aquire the BSOD information from driver verifier. The first error has a bucket ID 0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
The others say
LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal_3D
And finally the last one says:
The computer has reebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was 0x0000009f (0x00000000003, 0xffff888c01209800, 0xfffff8841423ec20, 0xffff888c04198a70), but then I look at the previous day, because all it does normally is shut down or freeze, and all it says was shutdown was unexpected or it was not cleanly shut down. I'm not sure what it means, as I don't think it's an Nvidia specific problem, as it happened with my old Graphics card by amd.

Any input is appreciated.

Specs are: WD 1tb drive, iHas optical drive, Intel 4670k CPU, Nvidia Asus rog strix 1060, PNY anarchy, 16gb (8gb*2) ddr3, Corsair cx550m power supply, msi z87 g45 motherboard, and Alpine rev 2 pro CPU cooler. Running Windows 10 x64

If your PC is unexpectedly freezing, it can be a frustrating experience. There are several potential causes for this issue, and here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to identify and resolve the problem:

Check system resources: When your PC freezes, it's essential to check if it's overloaded with resource-intensive tasks. Open the Task Manager (press Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and monitor the CPU, memory, and disk usage. If any application or process is consuming a significant amount of resources, close or terminate it to see if the freezing issue resolves.

Update drivers: Outdated or incompatible drivers can lead to system instability and freezing. Make sure all your device drivers are up to date. You can manually update them by visiting the manufacturer's website or use a driver update utility program to simplify the process.

Scan for malware: Malware infections can cause system freezes. Run a full scan using reputable antivirus or anti-malware software to detect and remove any potential threats. Make sure your antivirus software is up to date.

Check for overheating: Overheating can cause your PC to freeze. Ensure that your computer's cooling system is functioning properly, including fans and heat sinks. Clean any dust accumulation on the vents or fans and consider using a cooling pad or additional cooling solutions if necessary.

Test RAM: Faulty or failing RAM modules can cause freezing issues. Use the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check for any memory-related problems. Press Windows key + R, type "mdsched.exe," and hit Enter to launch the tool. It will restart your PC and perform a memory test.

Sponsored