Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Possible to fresh install Windows 10 without knowing your key?

littlewit

Dec 31, 2016
Recently I've been getting a lot of crashes so I thought about doing a fresh install. Now, I've been backing up all my important files and got an USB ready and all that.

But when I was about to install it to the USB, I remembered that I don't know my Windows key as I just cloned my drive from my previous laptop to my new desktop with the Windows on it.

So my question is: Is it possible to do a fresh install (Windows 10 if that changes anything) without knowing your key? Assuming it would ask for it when I was about to install it

No, there is no such possibility. You will have to use the software defining your activation key to save this before reinstalling/upgrading the OP. If you have lost your key or have not found a new one for Windows 10, try to find a suitable one in the list from the reddit windows keys discussion. One commenter left an excellent resource with active keys that can be used anytime. I've saved the post in my chrome bookmarks. You can also use these keys if necessary. I hope this will help somebody.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Topics You Missed

Latest Posts