Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Question about the hotel camera

ucasarklp

Registered
Jun 23, 2021
I traveled to China for business, and I found a camera put at the counter to shoot directly to my face. I was quite surprised until I started some discussion with people, then I realized it's quite common in China to collect face data.

I'm from German, collecting face data in public areas is not common in my culture. So after I returned back to Europe, I paid attention to the hotels I visit whether is for a stay or dinner. No camera at the counters except the custom.

I'm curious about the situation of the rest of the world. Please let me know where are you from, and if the camera put at the counter in the hotel is common in your country. Thank you.

Yeah I see where you're coming from but honestly I think all countries collect your personal data. On the other hand, regarding CCTV, China does sell a lot of cheap CCTV and video system to international companies. Usually, companies, retailers or families who prefer cheap ones choose Dahua or Hivision. In the US, some Chinese brands are banned and I think most people are trying out other brands like Milestone, Skyrec, Vicotek instead.

it will happen all over the world at certain point, in the future the will be cameras all over the place... privacy and private life will be gone

It's really disturbing to see that private life is fading away. I don't want to believe that the future is cameras everywhere and total governmental data control.
I really like it in Scandinavia and especially Norway, where there are almost no cameras, even in public places, because people value their privacy. There are no cameras in the shops, schools, ferries, and anywhere else. People still trust each other somehow and don't need this total control. It's something from the old world we are losing now.
It's sad that now it's hard to find hotels near me that would not have cameras everywhere to record me all the time.

Last edited:
Hi! I understand your confusion.
In some countries, it's common to see cameras in hotels, particularly in the lobby or at the front desk. These cameras are often used for security or to monitor customer traffic. In other countries, the use of cameras in public spaces is more restricted, and it's not as common to see them in hotels.
It's always important to be aware of the laws and cultural norms of the country you are visiting and to understand the reasons behind their use. Also, you can check out HappyLife apartments for rent in Alicante city center for some tips to enjoy your stay in different countries.

I completely get your surprise about the camera situation in China. It's amazing how different cultures approach privacy and surveillance. I'm from the US, and here, while we do have security cameras in public areas, it's not common to see them at hotel counters. However, I had a similar experience during a business trip to Japan. I noticed cameras in various public places, including hotels. It seems like these practices can vary widely from country to country. I also had a fantastic experience at one Broadbeach accommodation. It's always eye-opening to travel and see how different societies handle security and privacy.

Last edited: