Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ryzen 1500X 4K Video Editing setup, what upgrades to make?

pr0ph3t

Expert
⚔️ MOD
Dec 30, 2016
I'm have a Ryzen 1500X build with the following specs:
  • Ryzen 1500x (Obviously)
  • Adata XPG 3000Mhz RAM 8GB
  • Sandisk 120GB SSD (For Windows)
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
  • Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
  • Asus ROG B350-F Motherboard
When I'm editing 4K videos on Premier Pro, whole system just crashes at random times. Sometimes crashes during rendering, sometimes won't render and gives some error.
On the task manager I noticed that my CPU usage hits nearly 80% and more than 6GB RAM memory is used and GPU also reached 70%.

So what upgrades should i make to edit 4K videos flawlessly?

The cheapest thing you can do is get more ram. While the application limits itself to 6gb it can use a lot more (at work my editing pc uses over 40gb) so give it the room it needs to breathe and it will perform better.

Secondly it depends on the application you use. Premier Pro is CPU limited while resolve tends to utilize the GPU a lot more. I'll assume you're using premiere because that's the one most people use. You could either give resolve a go and see if you like it (there's a free version) or you could go with a CPU upgrade. Something with more cores will help you.

If you're not committed to premiere then giving resolve a go is probably your best option then upgrading ram then CPU.

• Love
Reactions: pr0ph3t
The cheapest thing you can do is get more ram. While the application limits itself to 6gb it can use a lot more (at work my editing pc uses over 40gb) so give it the room it needs to breathe and it will perform better.

Secondly it depends on the application you use. Premier Pro is CPU limited while resolve tends to utilize the GPU a lot more. I'll assume you're using premiere because that's the one most people use. You could either give resolve a go and see if you like it (there's a free version) or you could go with a CPU upgrade. Something with more cores will help you.

If you're not committed to premiere then giving resolve a go is probably your best option then upgrading ram then CPU.
I'm a Premiere Pro person and has been using it for a long time now. And i have tried Resolve but can't get used to it. Im not using this PC for work just hobby only but i need to add more RAM this 8GB is getting used up so easily. I can tolerate the final render time i only want timeline and playback smoothness.

Upgrading to 16gb of ram will help you immensely then and maybe even overclocking your ram slightly as that will help both with ram and CPU usage.
Anyway its not available now due to covid19 situation i will need to wait and also i think when it's available the prices will be higher. Im using an adata xpg 3000mhz ram and it's still pricy as the time it was launched.

Anyway its not available now due to covid19 situation i will need to wait and also i think when it's available the prices will be higher. Im using an adata xpg 3000mhz ram and it's still pricy as the time it was launched.

Yeah Ram ain't cheap sadly but it's a lot cheaper than a CPU upgrade. For now maybe just try overclocking your RAM and CPU? Even a slight boost will help.

I agree with Scythe. Getting extra RAM has always been a good option, actually. So, you should definitely consider this option. Though you asked for advice 4 years ago, my advice is still the same. I’ve been doing video editing for over 5 years, and I’ve been convinced that adding extra RAM is what my PC always lacks. Still, if you don’t have an opportunity do upgrade your RAM, you can change your software to this one Online Video Editor | Try New Video Maker for Free, for example. Actually, I often use this program if I’m not at home because it doesn’t require extra RAM. Actually, if I were you, I’d also change GPU to 3060.

Last edited:
I agree with Scythe. Getting extra RAM has always been a good option, actually.
🎥 Say goodbye to complex video editing software! 🚫🤯 Enter the realm of simplicity with 123APS, the online video editor that's about as complicated as making a cup of tea ☕ – easy, breezy, and oh-so-refreshing! No tech tantrums here; just a user-friendly interface that lets you trim, tweak, and transform your videos without the headaches. 🎬🎈 Ready to dive into hassle-free editing? Take the plunge at Online Video Editor - Simple & Free Video Editing Tool and let your creativity flow like never before! 🌊🎉 #VideoEditingSimplified #123APS #EditLikeAPro

Last edited: