Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Question Ryzen 3 3200G NAS build, is it good?

misserinjoan

Noobie
Aug 5, 2020
I'm trying to build my own NAS for video editing. I won't be working with 4k footage - 2k at the most. The NAS will primarily be for archive but I want to have the option to edit off of it, if needed. I'm fairly certain that this will do the job but my biggest concern is the "networking" part. I've never built a NAS so I'm not sure what is needed to connect it to my PC. Let me know if you have any insights.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Pg3L2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $560.90

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Erin Joan

Reactions: Abhiram Shibu
Solution
I'm trying to build my own NAS for video editing. I won't be working with 4k footage - 2k at the most. The NAS will primarily be for archive but I want to have the option to edit off of it, if needed. I'm fairly certain that this will do the job but my biggest concern is the "networking" part. I've never built a NAS so I'm not sure what is needed to connect it to my PC. Let me know if you have any insights.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.98 @ Amazon)...

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $560.90

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Erin Joan
HDD seems not to be NAS grade. Barracuda Compute is not designed for multiple hdds to be working in parallel. I suggest gofor WD RED or Seagate IronWolf.

I will also suggest to use UNRAID if not going for NAS grade drives. Because RAIDs do make all hdds tick in parallel which may cause head to crash.

For networking, I would suggest to have a multigigabit NIC may be 2.5G or above supporting STP CAT6A or something better.

Note that if you are going to add some more HDD's in the future and move to RAID 5 or something like that, use a dedicated RAID card or a better CPU.

One more thing is that new AMD 4th gen CPU's are way better so you may be better off just waiting for some time and getting those.

• Love
Reactions: pr0ph3t
Solution

Sponsored