Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Question Someone know whats wrong?

Blmzv

Registered
Oct 26, 2021
Currently, I’m exploring web development to see what all the hype is about. Except for following a small ‘create your first CRUD app in Node.JS’ and some formal training in JavaScript, I have no experience.

I’m new to JavaScript, NodeJS, Sails.JS, and WebSockets.

My current problem is this:
The app I’m trying to develop receives POST calls with a JSON object. This is the input part of the application. These POST calls originate from any random host.
The output is a webpage that updates itself by listening on a Sails.JS powered WebSocket system called sails.io.js.
Basically, each POST from any host should result in an event on the WebSocket.
Since I’m not building a formal REST API, I have to define some parts myself in Sails.JS. I do have blueprints enabled.
First, in the controller that handles the POST call, I can call the code below so existing WebSockets can receive an event of a new ServiceHeartBeatSession being created. All the server side code mentioned here is located in the controller or executed in the console.

Code:
sails.sockets.addRoomMembersToRooms(ServiceHeartBeatSession._classRoom()
, ServiceHeartBeatSession._room(session.id) );
Then, the invoke method is executed to send this event to all listening WebSockets.
ServiceHeartBeatSession.publish([ session.id ], { "verb": "created" });
However, the .publish method does not result in a event to an existing WebSocket. Unless I execute it myself in the console. The WebSocket is registered like this:
[COLOR=var(--tertiary-high)]io[/COLOR].socket.on([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'serviceheartbeatsession'[/COLOR], [COLOR=var(--primary-very-high)]function[/COLOR](resData) {
alert([COLOR=var(--hljs-string)]'Something changed!!!!'[/COLOR]);
});

I did some digging into the sourcecode and made some attempts at debugging this myself. Here’s what I’ve found so far:

• Running the .publish call in the console produces the desired result.
  • It appears that the .addRoomMembersToRooms is a requirement for the .publish to work in the console. So I’m assuming that .addRoomMembersToRooms works as intended.
  • I tried the alternative below, but that doesn’t work in the controller. However, it does work in the Node console.

sails.sockets.broadcast([ ServiceHeartBeatSession._room(session.id) ], "serviceheartbeatsession", 'hi!');

• The following works as intended, but I prefer not to use that.

sails.io.sockets.emit('serviceheartbeatsession', { verb: 'created' });

• The above attempt lacked a room selection, so I dug a little deeper. The calls below where the result of a .publish method. However, only after repeating this in the console, it worked.
    var emitter = sails.io.sockets;
    emitter.in(‘sails_model_serviceheartbeatsession_5b6b26748377829d34983d67:serviceheartbeatsession’); // for example
    emitter.emit(‘serviceheartbeatsession’, { verb: “created” });

Check more information in the article: How to Build Node.js APIs with Sails.js | Adeva
Anyone have any ideas?