Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SSD or increasing RAM, which is better?

Which will help?

• More RAM

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • SSD

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

pr0ph3t

Expert
⚔️ MOD
Dec 30, 2016
I'm having a sandybridge PC since 2011 but recently it's having some issues. The disk usage is always full even if I'm not running anything. It only has 2GB DDR3 RAM, should i increase the RAM or buy an SSD? Make your votes and suggest any other solutions.

mmm, have you checked how much swap is assigned? In my experience this is usually the main cause for your problem, switch off automatic and change it to (your current physical ram) x 1.5 x 1024 so (2 x 1024= 2048 x 1.5) = 3072 mb total swap

100% Disk usage when doing nothing can indicate problem with some programs or since you have 2GB ram, the disk is busy because is swaping files from ram to hdd when a program is idle and being used and vice versa ( Page file ). So i guess adding more ram will make a difference. I had similar problems since i had 2GB ram too. I add another 2GB and now my pc runs smooth even when using softwares like Photoshop and Illustrator.

100% Disk usage when doing nothing can indicate problem with some programs or since you have 2GB ram, the disk is busy because is swaping files from ram to hdd when a program is idle and being used and vice versa ( Page file ). So i guess adding more ram will make a difference. I had similar problems since i had 2GB ram too. I add another 2GB and now my pc runs smooth even when using softwares like Photoshop and Illustrator.
That issue is solved. I added 2GB of RAM so now there is total 4GB.

Sponsored

Topics You Missed

Latest Posts