Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Thermal Paste in CPU Socket/On CPU Pins. What should i do?

Adolfhitman

Registered
Nov 5, 2020
So, fucking idiotic of me I know, but I am currently building my PC and got some thermal paste on my fingers without realizing it, then proceeded to put my CPU in the socket. After I noticed it I quickly realized that I also to touched my CPU with said fingers, quickly took the socket out, and noticed some paste in the socket. There's also some on the pins as well, but only the sides of them, not the tip, what do I do? I don't have my 90% alcohol lying around, I don't think, so I'm completely at a loss here. Will use it the way it is frying my CPU/motherboard? Or should I be fine since I got so little in there? Pictures would help but don't have an Imgur so if you need some I cam just DM you hopefully Thermal compound is MX-4 non-conductive

Last edited by a moderator:
I did that a week before when redoing the thermals for my CPU, as so much as I do know, nothing you'll do regarding it, simply place your central processor in and pray to the laptop gods I did that and it still works shodden with no problems

I did that a week before when redoing the thermals for my CPU, as so much as I do know, nothing you'll do regarding it, simply place your central processor in and pray to the laptop gods I did that and it still works shodden with no problems
It's also sort of a super bit among the socket, a lot is on the pins however I am pretty certain there is still an relation. however, my concern is that it's non-conductive, therefore it would simply kill itself on bootup

Any thanks for telling if being slower than usual if it will startup?

I have noticed a drop in performance but that could be just me overthinking it I mean I got a decent amount on the pins and I freaked out, did a few quick google searches for help and all said the same can’t do anything to fix it just put it together and pray luck is on your side sorry I don’t have pictures to help ya visually

Edit once it booted I did go into my bios and pulled my CPU back from 4.7ghz to 4.2ghz just as a safeguard

Did with my old mobo. Fried it. Took the hit as a steep expensive learning curve and bought a new one.

Pray to the PCMR and hope it doesn't fry but before you turn it on, go get some decent rubbing alcohol, a magnifying glass, and some time, it can be cleaned depending on the thermal paste.

So, fucking idiotic of me I know, but I am currently building my PC and got some thermal paste on my fingers without realizing it, then proceeded to put my CPU in the socket. After I noticed it I quickly realized that I also to touched my CPU with said fingers, quickly took the socket out, and noticed some paste in the socket. There's also some on the pins as well, but only the sides of them, not the tip, what do I do? I don't have my 90% alcohol lying around, I don't think, so I'm completely at a loss here. Will use it the way it is frying my CPU/motherboard? Or should I be fine since I got so little in there? Pictures would help but don't have an Imgur so if you need some I cam just DM you hopefully Thermal compound is MX-4 non-conductive
What have you done Adolfhitman Adolfhitman, which steps have you followed?