Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

This image cannot be processed by the web server. Convert it to JPEG or PNG before uploading

hebergem

Registered
Nov 5, 2020
I was trying to upload a .webp image to my WordPress website, after the 5.8 update WordPress says it natively supports webp images. But when I try to upload it get this error:
This image cannot be processed by the web server. Convert it to JPEG or PNG before uploading

How can I fix this?

WebP support should be enabled in ImageMagick or GD PHP extensions. WordPress alone cannot process WebP images if ImageMagic or GD don’t support that. You should contact your host regarding this.

Although WordPress has claimed support for webp images after the 5.8 update, it appears there might still be limitations with uploading them directly. However, there's a workaround that should still work even after all this time.
Since your web server seems unable to process .webp images, you can convert them to JPEG or PNG formats before uploading. Tools like compress jpeg are handy for not only compressing images but also converting them to different formats. By using such a tool, you can easily convert your .webp images to JPEG or PNG while ensuring optimal compression to maintain image quality.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Topics You Missed

Latest Posts