Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Will i5-5250U CPU bottleneck a GTX 1070 ti?

DecoyWrld

Noobie
Jun 16, 2018
I'm currently planning on buying the GTX 1070 TI, with a Akitio Thunder 2 due to the fact that my Imac is only capable of TB2. I've been wondering if my i5 5250u cpu and TB2 will cut down the potential of the gpu, if so what should I do? And is it possible to get a Akitio Node with TB3 connected through a TB2 mac adapter and be able to make the card go? If the 1070 TI bottlenecks should I go with a 1060 6gb, a normal 1070 or a 1070 OC/SC?

Even though 1050 and 1050TI aren't great cards, they'd probably be more suitable in your situation. Your computer will bottleneck the hell out of 1060 or anything else above because of thunderbolt. Also, CPU could also be upgraded.

First thing! Using a GPU on an external GPU dock itself will bottleneck as a thunderbolt connection is way slower than PCIe slot.
And the CPU is a bit old for a 1070Ti
I don't think so. Thunderbolt is enough for 1070ti. So will CPU bottleneck? may be. I cant say no or yes because it depends on the game you are playing. Titles like GTA V are CPU bound and may require good cpu to squeeze all fps out.

Sponsored